Wednesday, August 13, 2008

harwich 11, cotuit 2

So much for the pitchers' duel.

Half of the marguee match-up I mentioned yesterday didn't turn out as planned, with Harwich's Michael Morrison getting the start in place of Chris Manno.

The other half didn't turn out as planned either.

Seth Blair was on the mound for Cotuit, and Harwich lit him up. Blair, who finished second in the ERA race, gave up 10 runs as Harwich cruised to the 11-2 victory.

When I got home from work and checked the very helpful Cape Cod Times live blog, I thought I was reading it wrong.

But I was not.

I guess after getting shut out for 17 innings, Harwich was ready to score some runs. In all, the Mariners had 16 hits. Jason Stidham, who had eight RBI all season, had seven in this game.

And just like that, Harwich is one win away from a Cape League championship, and, seemingly, one punch from a knockout blow. It's going to be tough for the Kettleers to bounce back from this for tomorrow's game.

They've battled through adversity all season, though, so maybe they're the team to do it.

Back later with some thoughts on tomorrow.

No comments: