Friday, July 18, 2008

hello? internet, is that you?

So I went to a Cape League game last night and got back to the beach house my parents are renting, all ready to write something up . . . and we couldn't find the internet. I guess we're "borrowing" from some house down the street and it decided not to work. So that's why there was no daily fog this morning. If this is an important part of anyone's day, I apologize. I was having withdrawal myself.

The connection is working now, and with any luck, will be again tomorrow (come through for me, random people I don't know). Since it's too late to do the daily fog for today, here are some thoughts from the game last night.

Grant Green was all ready to be the hero. Bases loaded with two outs. Game tied, bottom of the ninth. When Corey Overholtzer drew a walk to load the bases, there was a little murmur in the crowd. They knew. There's not a hitter on the Cape you want more in that spot than Grant Green. He would be the hero.

Steve Kalush had something to say about that.

Kalush, a righthander from Santa Clara, came in throwing gas and struck Green out on three pitches. All were fastballs, and it seemed each one was faster than the last. It was a thoroughly impressive performance and it set Kalush up to earn the victory. Harwich rallied in the top of the tenth and won the game 4-3.

The match-up between Kalush and Green looked more like a mismatch on paper. Green was leading the league in hitting. Kalush had an ERA over seven. But clearly, the moment was right. Kalush is a hard-thrower. Harwich needed a strikeout and he was the guy to do it. When he pumped his fisty after striking out Green, it was a cool moment.

Kalush will remember it.

That's about all I've got for now. The internet may disappear again soon so I must be careful. Anyway, all-star game rosters are out tomorrow. Enjoy.

No comments: