Friday, June 13, 2008

opening night

I was not able to attend the game in Wareham tonight so I'll leave the description of the ceremonies to everybody else. I trust everything went well, though from listening to manager Cooper Farris on the postgame radio show, the Gatemen would have really liked to get John Wylde a victory.

But Falmouth had a little too much in a 9-2 victory. Kevin Nolan (Winthrop) was on base five times and Chad Bettis (Texas Tech) turned in a strong relief performance to power the Commodores.

Still, this night was about a little bit more than baseball, and that's the way it should be. I can't imagine a better way to kick off the 2008 season than a night for John Wylde, a man who's responsible for much of what the Cape League is today. And it was a perfect night for baseball, at that.

So we begin. The season really gets going on Saturday with a near-full slate of games. I've got a wedding to go to, so I won't be able to keep up with anything as it happens. But I will catch up with things on Sunday.

Until then, enjoy the baseball. Summer starts now.

1 comment:

Heals said...

Just wanted to say thanks for a great job on the stats you've posted. Saved me a ton of time as you did all the work!!! I went to the Team USA trial game in Lynn last night.. I wish a few of the guys that are sure to make the team would just play on the Cape.. Got some good pics of a few players if you are interested in posting them on your site.
Thanks again Mike